CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 25, 2007

That's What I Call Prime

Just when I said I was going to stop or at least limit my red meat consumption, I found myself face to face with a dilemma... a 7 pound dilemma.


This past weekend was supposed to be spent with my parents. Due to an unexpected loss in the family, my day had to fly up to NY asap & plans quickly changed. One thing that did not change however, was a 7 pound prime rib that needed to be roasted. This is where I stepped in.




Cooking prime rib is actually easier than one may think. There are only 4 ingredients needed, including the cut of meat. To cook a 5-star quality prime rib all you need is: Kosher salt, freshly grounded pepper, balsamic vinegar & of course the prime rib.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I recommend you use a large enough metal bowl so that your entire cut of meat can fit within it. After placing the meat into the bowl, add enough balsamic vinegar to coat the all sides & rub it in well.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Without making a mess & dripping vinegar all over the place... take the meat out of the bowl & plate. Carefully add the kosher salt to both sides of the meat but AVOID covering the fat. (No matter how prime, there is fat in this cut of meat.) Adding salt to the fatty sections of the meat will cause the meat to be very salty after roasting.


After coating the meat with the kosher salt, place the meat on a roasting rack. Be sure that the meat DOES NOT touch the bottom of the pan.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Roasting (cooking) time varies based upon your oven... mine took almost 3 hours. The internal temperature you are looking for is 125 degrees. (Cooking thermometer needed.)


After the meat reached 125 degrees, take it out & wrap it in aluminum foil so that it can continue to cook.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


After about 30 minutes of cooking in the foil, it's time to eat.




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now that that is done... I'm vowing to stay off red meat for a bit.

0 comments: