CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

{Food Files} My 1st Attempt at Quiche

I recently had quiche at a potluck.  It was so good!  I am not sure how many slices I had but it wouldn't surprise me if I ate at least 1/2 of it that day.  Of course, you know me... I just had to have the recipe.  And with no hesitation, the chef gave it to me. This doesn't always happen so easily.  Some folks like to keep their recipes a secret and make me go through unthinkable hoops to obtain it.

When the recipe hit my inbox, I was glad to see it did not seem too complicated, so here I am sharing it with YOU!  Most of the ingredients are pantry items we keep on hand. Usually I would make the pie crust but I just happened to have a store bought one and used that. 
  • 1 single pie crust
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1-1/2 cups heavy cream, half and half or milk
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • dash ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup cooked ham, chicken or crab meat
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded swiss, cheddar, monterey jack, and/or havarti cheese (6ounces)
  • 1 tbsp all purpose flour
Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450 degree F for 8 min. Remove foil. Bake for 4-5 min. more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temp to 400 degrees.



Meanwhile, in medium bowl (or my handy dandy new mixer) stir together eggs, milk, green onions, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in ham. In a small bowl toss together the cheese and flour. Add to egg mixture; mix well.





Pour egg mixture into hot, baked pastry shell. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 to 45 min. or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.

Let stand 10 min. before serving.

I cut this into 6 pieces, my son ate 3 of them within 20 minutes... I take it that means he liked it. ;o)

0 comments: