CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mommy-Made Baby Blocks

First comes love... then comes marriage... Then comes a baby in a baby carriage, playing with blocks!

It did not take me long to figure out that my baby daughter would much rather play with something hard, than soft. I guess when she hits her big brother with her chosen toy, she wants to make sure she hears a playful, "Ouch!"

Every baby needs a set of blocks to play with. They assist with hand / eye coordination, thinking and fine motor skills. After seeing the selection most stores had to offer with block, I decided to take a whirl at making my own.

I started off with several 1-1/2" wooden blocks from the craft store. They were $1 each BUT of course I purchased them when they went on sale for 50% off. *Most local craft stores run sales on a schedule. If the item(s) you want is not on sale this week, give it a week or two... chances are, it will go on sale within a month's time.

First thing I did was sand down the edges. We already know my baby daughter likes to hit her big brother with things, we do not
need him actually injured from sharp objects.

After I sanded the edges I painted them with a non-toxic craft paint. Be sure to check that all the materials you use are non-toxic, non-treated, etc. We want our children to be safe with their mommy-made toys.

After I finished painting, I cut small squares out of coordinating scrapbook paper. I used 5 different patterns, so each block used 1 pattern twice (no biggie).


Last but not least, I glued the scrapbook paper squares on to the blocks & finished it out with one of my good friends... Mod Podge.

And tada... mommy-made baby blocks.




0 comments: